Through the Furnace: Your “Sweetly Broken” Journey
A heart-and-faith-changing workbook for people who like to think deeply, tackle the hard questions, challenge themselves, and journal.
Do You Want More?
When we are living life for ourselves and in our own strength, life will be hard, exhausting, joyless, and “less than” what we thought it would be. But if we ever allow ourselves to get to the point of brokenness before God, we will experience the kind of life that we were meant to live. It will be vibrant, alive, meaningful, and powerful. It won’t necessarily be easier or more comfortable. But we’ll find more peace, joy, and security as we face life from the safety of His loving arms. And this is why I am issuing this challenge; I want others to experience the kind of relationship with Him that we were made for.
- feel-good/self-serving hobbies
- feel-good/self-serving religion or religious experiences
- bigger and more beautiful cars and homes
- more toys to make us happy
- movies and entertainment
- fitness and the pursuit of health and youth
- attention, success, and congratulations
- sexual or selfish pleasures
- and the entire world/social network in the palm of our hands
2. When you face a difficulty or trial or choice, your first instinct will be to run to God about it. You will lay your request before Him in prayer and search the Word (and seek godly advice) for guidance.
3. You will become more concerned with seeing Him glorified through your words and actions than you will be with your own desires and plans for yourself. You will desire that He is seen, and you’ll be content to be invisible and to shift the focus to Him and to give Him all the glory.
4. You’ll focus more on the eternal than you will on the temporal. And so you’ll be more concerned with the eternal souls of other people than you will be with their behavior and attitudes or with your own “nice, little life.”